• 1 litre vegetable oil for deep-frying
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon white sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2/3 cup milk
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 3 cups apples – cored and sliced thinly
• For the glaze:
• 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
• 2 tablespoons butter, softened
• 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 tablespoon milk
• Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or electric skillet to 190 degrees C.
• In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Pour in the milk, eggs and oil and stir until well blended.
• Coat apple rings in batter.
• Drop apples coated in batter into the hot oil and fry until golden on both sides, about 5 minutes depending on the size.
• Fry in smaller batches so they are not crowded.
• Remove from the hot oil using a slotted spoon and drain briefly on paper towels.
For the glaze:
• Mix the confectioners’ sugar, butter, cinnamon and vanilla together.
• Adding half the milk to start with, stir in to make a thick glaze, adding just a drop at a time more until you get a nice thick glaze.
• Spread or pour immediately over cooled apple fritters.