• 60g Butter
• 50g Selati Castor Snow
• 1 Medium-sized Egg
• 50g Ground Almonds
• 15ml Flour
• 5ml Vanilla essence
• 10ml Rum
• 2ml Grated lemon zest
• 1 roll Puff pastry, home-made or shop-bought
• 80ml Butter, melted
• 80ml Selati Icing Snow
• 4 Red Apples, cored and halved
• 1 Lemon
• Ground cinnamon
• A little flour for dusting
• Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
• Add the egg, rum and vanilla, and mix well until smooth.
• Fold in the almonds and flour and zest.
• Slice the apples into thin slices (approx. 3-4mm).
• Place the apple slices on a large plate, (it doesn’t matter if they overlap) and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over all the slices.
• Microwave on high for about 45 seconds or until the slices have just softened a bit. Remove and cool.
• On a surface lightly dusted with flour, roll the puff pastry sheet until it’s a bit thinner (about 3/4mm thick).
• Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut 6-8 strips, along the short edge. (each strip should be approx. 8cm wide)
• Spread about a tablespoon of frangipane filling over each strip to thinly cover.
• Place apple slices along 1 long edge of each strip, about 2cm beyond the edge of the strip, overlapping the slices.
• Brush the apple slices with melted butter and dust with icing sugar and add a sprinkle of cinnamon.
• Fold bottom half of each pastry strip over the apple slices to form a long fold of pastry with the edges of apple slices exposed.
• Starting from one end, roll the pastry strip (not too tightly) to form a rose-shaped pastry. Seal the rose with the end of the pastry strip.
• Place each rose into a well-greased muffin tin or ramekin.
• Bake at 200C until golden brown and the pastry has crisped (about 30 -45 minutes).
• Remove and place on baking sheet to cool 5 to 10 minutes. Remove apple roses from the tin and leave to cool on the rack. Dust with icing sugar before serving.